Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Introduction to Jamie Reeder


My name is Jamie Reeder, I was born and raised in San Diego County. I went through the Temecula Valley school system and graduated from Temecula Valley High. After high school I moved around with in California. I did some schooling in Chico from there I went to Sacramento. Once I became serious about my education I came back to San Diego and finished my general education at Palomar and Mira Costa. I graduated from CSUSM in the fall of 07 and I am working on my prereqs this summer.
My experience with technology is intermediate. I know my way around various programs. I guess my technical abilities suit my needs. I can create PowerPoint, type proficiently, e-mail..the basics. I am excited about this class because I am a new owner of a Mac! So this will help me know my computer at home more proficiently. I am defiantly not scared of technology, it can be intimidating but I enjoy trying to figure it out (most of the time). I am the "computer person" in the house, which is kind of scary. I'm usually able to figure it out if I don't know the answers right off. I use my e-mail daily but my primary exposure to technology has just been the necessities for school, communication, music and entertainment.
The mission statement does actually speak to me very clearly. I did not always want to be an educator. Every person on my Mom's side of the family is an educator; I mean cousins, aunts, grandparents, and cousin’s grandparents. The list is ridicules. I resisted teaching because it seemed expected of me. If I had just listened to my family I would most likely already be teaching. I had to find my own path and I am excited about where it has lead me. It was during my senior year at CSUSM that I really began to consider education. I have taken many courses in diversity, women's studies, and theory of whiteness and not to sound like a ranting feminist but I became a ranting feminist. There is so much inequality in the world that I believe educators are in a unique position to be influential advocates of change. The mission statement talks about innovative research, ongoing learning, educational equity and these are things I want to be apart of. I want to be a strong influence in changing the way people look at the world even if it is one classroom at a time.

1 comment:

Nazanine said...

That is really neat that you have been around California. I know many people including myself who have lived here for so long and have yet to travel up and down the California coast. I did manage to get up to Sacramento which was very pretty and enjoyable. I can relate with you on the "computer person in the house" I have been the least technical person but since I am taking this class I have moved on up haha. Your comment about your family all being educators is something I can relate to as well. Both my parents are teachers as were some relatives. However it had the opposite effect with me, I figured out at a very young age that all I wanted to do was teach. I enjoyed reading your blog! :)