Monday, July 28, 2008

Journal 4 Animoto Web 2.0

I was looking around at the different topics in classroom 2.0. I clicked on photo sharing and found a great site called Animoto. Once I clicked on the site I got caught up trying to make my own video. Basically the concept is that you upload your own videos and music or music from their library and it will put it together in a really cool slide show collage. These videos are 30sec long, you do have to pay a fee to make a longer one but if you e-mail animoto and tell them you are an educator they will give you a password so you can use it for free. Some of the complains about Animoto were it lacks the ability to be creative. Although this is true it still can be such a good tool to get students excited about school projects. I made a couple of short films from pictures I had on my computer and uploaded them right to blogger. The film was automatically embedded in my blog. It is very easy to use and I think it could be used in any subject area. Although it does lack a creative side it can push the student to find ways to get creative with their pictures and music. I have not tried the extended version because I do not want to pay for it but I think this is something students could be really excited about. All the feedback was pretty positive from other educators who are using this program. I thought I was going to follow my subject and get the journal out of the way but Animoto had me consumed for about 40 min. you guys should check it out.

7 comments:

Michelle Rivera said...

Hey Jamie,

I like your slideshows with music! This Animoto application looks like a lot of fun, and I think kids would love it. This is a great way to get them interested in a project and you could incorporate slideshows into so many different subjects. I'm glad you found this one!

Carissa Anderson said...

Wow! I loved watching your videos! This technology really seems great for the classroom setting! Imagine taking photos of your clas while performing a play or the like and them allowing them to make their own movies with those pictures! I think this would be great in the classroom! Great job!

Sarah S said...

This looks like it would be fun! The videos were great. It is nice to know that they are allowing educators free access to this. I think it could be very useful in the classroom.

sydneycamden said...

Nice videos!...very creative! Animoto looks a lot of fun...I could see using it in my classrooms because not only would my students get a kick out of it but they would also be learning technology! Or also I could create an assignment at the end of the year by having them combining their favorite pictures from the year with a description and presenting it to the class!

aatwood said...

Jamie,

Animoto seems awesome! I can do so much with this. I really like the ideas of linking music with the films, because I'm a history major, so I want to teach history...obviously, so I would love to use this program to incorporate the music of the era Im teaching about into my power points, mini movies, slide show presentations and all of my presentations to my students. Thanks for the information!

Andrea Welch said...

Your slideshows were awesome. I will definitely try to find a way to incorporate this in to my classroom. Maybe an end of the year slideshow? Thanks for reporting on this topic.

Joey said...

Animoto is nice. I enjoyed your videos. Definitely could be catchy with kids.

Joey